The specified module 'SqlServer' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in any module directory

When I was thinking to access/connect SQL Server using PowerShell in one of the following ways

1. .NET (System.Data.SqlClient)

2. SSMO (SQL Server Management Objects)

3. SQL Server PowerShell

I was actually trying with third method. Yes! unfortunately, It failed. Let me tell you, what I tried and how I resolved.

Open PowerShell ISE and try the below line of command


Connecting SQL from local machine

Import-Module SqlServer 





I got the Err...
Import-Module : The specified module 'SqlServer' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in any module directory.

I thought, we don't have the Module in my environment and check the available Modules named "SQLServer" finally

Get-Module -ListAvailable -Name *SQLServer*




I could not find any such a Modules

I tried to Install the Module in my environment, 

The PowerShell Gallery is the repository from Microsoft

Click and open the specific Module "SQLServer"














I Installed the Module
Install-Module -Name SqlServer -RequiredVersion 21.1.18245 -AllowClobber




Actually, The Package has 23.82 MB

Let the process download the required Package and Install



Once the Installation complete

Let me try to check the Module installed
Get-Module -ListAvailable -Name *SQLServer*






Yes! I can see the Module Installed

Let me try to Import the Module
Import-Module SqlServer





Let us get the List of Databases from my local SQL Instance
Get-SqlDatabase -ServerInstance SQLBUDDY\SQL2019






See, I got the all available Databases in my SQL Instance "SQLBUDDY\SQL2019"

Note: I am using Logged-In same credential to connect with my local SQL Server Instance

No comments:

Post a Comment